What Has Science Done?

Saturday, September 24, 2005

Hey, I am New to This!

As I have mentioned twice already, Boston University's College of Communications is going to hold a debate this November on "whether Intelligent Design should be taught alongside Evolutionary Biology in science classrooms." In a flash of utter stupidity, I cared to email the Discovery Institute's leading Blowhard/Laconic about what he hoped to accomplish at this event, since the DI's policy on teaching ID is that it should not be mandatory, but teachers should discuss the "evidence against evolution." Here is his rather curt, but prompt, response which I received last night.

At 06:02 PM 9/23/2005, you wrote:
what you hope to accomplish in this debate?

Exposure.

I gaped open mouthed at this for a good few minutes. I did not write the most articulate of emails and in an effort to be up-front, stated that I was not a fan of his work. One can say I should have known better, and yes I do now. In the least, I have a greater respect for the scientists who boycotted the Kansas BoE show trial earlier this year.